Albany Soroptimists have again partnered with Anglicare WA for the Albany Women’s Centre Kare Kits Donation Drive, which will run throughout the Great Southern until 18 September.
Traditionally held in March, this year’s event was delayed until August due to Coronavirus restrictions.
The annual donation drive collects much needed items to support the work of the Albany Women’s Centre to provide a safe refuge to women and children fleeing family and domestic violence.
Anglicare WA Albany Women’s Centre Manager Joanna Fictoor said the Kare Kits Donation Drive is more important than ever this year, with family violence increasing during COVID-19.
“The Albany Women’s Centre has seen a 50% increase in demand since the Coronavirus pandemic was declared as perpetrators increasingly sought to use the virus threat to isolate and threaten their partners,” said Ms Fictoor.
“The Centre continues to operate at capacity even though COVID-19 restrictions have begun to be lifted in WA.”
The Centre supports women and children to leave an abusive environment, providing crisis accommodation, 24-hour on-call support, case management support, outreach services, support groups, advocacy and counselling, as well as communication education.
Albany Soroptimists Project Coordinator Janet McArtney said there are many ways for people in the Great Southern to support the Kare Kits Donation Drive.
“Financial donations or vouchers for department stores and supermarkets are most practical as they can be used to buy school uniforms, general clothing and shoes to fit the family in need, or help to purchase furniture and whitegoods for women ready to move into permanent accommodation,” said Ms McArtney.
“We also need donations of boys and girls clothing in new condition and school items such as backpacks, lunchboxes, drink bottles and pencil cases filled with stationery. Full-sized toiletry items, such as shampoo, conditioner, body wash and deodorant are also welcome.”
“Most pharmacies in Albany have gratefully shown their support for the donation drive, by committing to donate excess stock throughout the six-week fundraiser.”
Donations can be dropped off at the Anglicare WA office, 44 Collie Street, Albany, as well as supporting businesses in Albany, Denmark and Mt Barker.
Donations can be dropped at the following collection points:
- AnglicareWA office – 44 Collie St, ALBANY - Mon-Fri 8:00am -4:00pm
- Albany Public Library – 221 York St, ALBANY – various T, W, Th, Fr & S.
- Albany Regional Volunteer Service – Lotteries House, North Rd, ALBANY – various hours
- Rainbow Coast Family Services – North Rd, ALBANY – Mon-Fri 9:00am – 3:00pm
- Albany Plaza Pharmacy – Albany Plaza
- Great Southern TAFE – Various
- The Sandalwood Factory – Albany Hwy, Drome
- Albany Carpet Court - 90 Lockyer Ave, ALBANY - 8:30am–5:00pm
- Kingdom Kare Childcare Centre - 87 Katoomba Street, ALBANY – Mon-Fri 7:00am–6:00pm
- Kalgan River Chalets and Caravan Park – Nanarup Rd, KALGAN – various
- Spencer Park Priceline Pharmacy – various
- Albany Wacky Golf - 2/138 Chester Pass Road, ALBANY - various
- All Weather Building Products - 206 Albany Highway, ALBANY - Mon-Fri 8:00am – 4:30pm
- The Health Nut - 30 Peels Place, ALBANY - Mon-Fri 9:00am–5:00pm
- Albany Roller Derby - 300 Roundhay Street, ALBANY - various
· Western Workwear – 74 Chesterpass Rd, ALBANY - Mon-Fri 8.30am – 4.30pm
· McGregor Mortgages - 3/265 York St, ALBANY – Mon-Fri 8:30am–5:00pm
- Sound Life Financial Services- 106 Stirling Terrace, ALBANY - Mon-Fri 9:00am–5:00pm
- Battery World - 256 Albany Hwy, ALBANY - Mon-Fri 8:00am–5:00pm
- Bendigo Bank Mount Barker - 4 Short St, MOUNT BARKER – Mon-Fri 9:00am–5:00pm
- Mount Barker Public Library - MOUNT BARKER – various
- Denmark Medical Centre - U3/ 3 Mount Shadforth Rd, DENMARK - Mon, Tue, Wed & Fri: 8.30am–5pm